On Tuesday, Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones deferred to head coach Jason Garrett when asked if a decision had been made about who would call the offensive plays next season.
“At some point Jason will address that,” Jones said.
A few hours after Jones made that comment, an email was sent out by the Cowboys’ PR staff, notifying the media that Garrett will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. Wednesday.
It’s certain Garrett will be asked then if he will surrender play-calling duties. Owner Jerry Jones hinted at the Senior Bowl that was the plan but later told the team website it was Garrett’s decision to designate the roles of the coaches on the staff. If Garrett gives up his play-calling responsibilities that he has had since 2007, offensive coordinator Bill Callahan is expected to assume them.
“I’ve never been a guy where it’s been hell or high water that I’m going to call the plays,” Garrett said in January. “It gives you the opportunity to step back a little and engage in the other two aspects. Obviously, my role as the head coach – if I’m not the play-caller – will be significant.”
Those remarks came after Garrett responded to a Dec. 31 question about maintaining his play-calling role by saying, “I would certainly anticipate the status quo from that standpoint.”
Will the Cowboys announce their offensive play-caller Wednesday?
Dallas Morning News | Feb 13