Zack Wheeler threw batting practice yesterday for the first time since injuring his oblique.
That was the good news.
The bad news was the batting-practice session came in minor league camp after the Mets right-hander was among the cuts from the major league team. It was a development that was expected — although it was hastened by the oblique injury suffered in his lone Grapefruit League appearance against Washington on Feb. 23.
While Wheeler anticipated the move, he was still disappointed.
“I’m not happy,” Wheeler said after receiving the news from Terry Collins, pitching coach Dan Warthen and general manager Sandy Alderson. “I had the injury and that set me back a little bit. I only got out there one time. That’s the one thing I’m mad about. I wanted to go out there and prove myself.”
Collins understood Wheeler’s frustration.
“I know he’s disappointed,” the manager said. “He has every right to be, but he’s going to get his chance [and] just like Matt Harvey, when he gets here he’ll never leave.”
Just like Harvey a year ago, Wheeler will have to wait.
“I just told him I felt bad he didn’t get a chance to pitch,” Collins said. “But you’re sitting in the same seat Matt Harvey did last year and the one thing you’ve got to realize is when you’re ready to pitch and you get in games and your season starts, pitch your way out of that league. If you force us to call you, we’ll be calling you.”
Wheeler sent down, but Mets expect major future for him
New York Post | Mar 11