The Tigers bid farewell to Jose Valverde last fall to make way for rookie Bruce Rondon to compete for their closer job. While Rondon opens the year at Triple-A Toledo instead, Valverde has lingered on the free-agent market long enough to see his old team go into the season with a closer-by-committee that doesn't include a clear closer preference.

A reunion between Valverde and the Tigers is characterized as highly unlikely, despite the team's current situation. Still, some wonder whether Valverde's agent, Scott Boras, might re-engage the club and its ownership now that plans have changed.

Boras told MLB.com on Thursday that Valverde has thrown bullpen sessions for scouts from multiple teams in recent days in the Dominican Republic, and will throw for a couple more shortly. He would not specify which teams, though he said more have gotten involved as Opening Day roster decisions have come down.

Boras said Valverde is throwing his fastball at 93-94 mph, by scouts' readings.

Once those workouts are complete, Boras said he expects a decision and a deal to come together fairly soon.

"Our plan was to wait and see what closer options availed themselves at this time," Boras said.

Boras said Valverde is open to a one-year contract.

Team president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said Thursday morning that the Rondon decision would not change their approach to the market. Though the Tigers have been rumored to be interested in potential trades for relievers, such as San Diego's Huston Street and Luke Gregerson, Dombrowski told the Detroit News last week he has not made a trade proposal.