Even as their free-agent pursuit of veteran right-hander Bronson Arroyo grinds toward the finish line, the Twins are keeping a spot open for Mike Pelfrey.

Their two-year, $10 million offer remains on the table for the towering right-hander who went 5-13 with a 5.19 earned-run average in 2013, his first year back from Tommy John surgery.

"We have a lot of respect for Pelfrey," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said Tuesday at baseball's winter meetings. "We've basically made some offers and talked. It's a decision whether he wants to take it or go elsewhere."

Twins general manager Terry Ryan has a policy of not discussing free-agent offers, but he did say the Twins are "still in dialogue with Mike" and agent Scott Boras.

Gardenhire said he hasn't reached out to Pelfrey, who made known his preference to re-sign with the Twins as early as July. However, Gardenhire used his mandatory media session as an opportunity to lobby indirectly for Pelfrey's return.

"I love the guy," Gardenhire said. "He's good for the clubhouse. He came a long ways last year off his surgery. So now we'll just see. It's basically on his table. We've thrown it out there, and we'll see if he accepts it and go from there, but we hope it happens."

The manager noted Pelfrey, who turns 30 in January, has a 95 mph fastball and appears to be past his elbow woes, which led to him signing a discounted one-year, $4 million deal with the Twins last December.

The New York Yankees reportedly have shown interest in the free agent, but Pelfrey was openly miserable in New York with his former team, the Mets.

It's the Mets, along with the Cincinnati Reds, who are reportedly stepping up efforts to sign Arroyo, who turns 37 in February. Arroyo has a stated preference to pitch on the East Coast, and he has spent the past eight years anchoring the Reds' starting rotation.