With Texas A&M seven days from the season opener there's been little to suggest Johnny Manziel will be out of the lineup Saturday against Rice.

An industry source briefed late last week by a high-ranking A&M official on the NCAA investigation into Manziel's eligibility says the school had “no plans” to sit the Heisman-winning quarterback because of its confidence in the case.

The NCAA is looking into whether Manziel received money in exchange for his autograph as first reported by ESPN.

HEISMAN BACKLASH?
Don't change rules on Manziel
A&M hasn't reduced Manziel's practice reps hasn't readied another quarterback as if it were preparing to lose Manziel and the coaching staff hadn't been notified on Manziel's status as of Friday though the last part is not uncommon in an NCAA probe.

A&M compliance director David Batson declined comment when reached Friday.

When asked earlier in the week about whether Manziel has interviewed with the NCAA senior associate athletic director of external affairs Jason Cook said “Texas A&M will not address such questions regarding specific student-athletes."

That hasn't stopped A&M Chancellor Jon Sharp from publicly supporting Manziel.

“I know he's innocent” Sharp told local station KBTX.

Jim Darnell Manziel's family attorney told CBSSports.com Friday the family is “tired of all of this” but that Manziel has been “playing football and doing what he's supposed to do.”

Darnell said two weeks ago he expects Manziel to be on the field to start the season.

Darnell said he believes Nate Fitch Manziel's friend/personal assistant who according to ESPN attended several of Manziel's organized signings has hired legal representation.

But Fitch is under no obligation to help the NCAA as is the case for the autograph brokers who reportedly worked with Manziel. The longer this case goes without a proverbial smoking gun (hard evidence or even circumstantial evidence) the less likely Manziel is to sit.