Desmond Bishop wanted to believe there was room for three starting inside linebackers on the Green Bay Packers’ defense, but deep down he knew better.

Coming off surgery for a torn hamstring tendon that sidelined him for the entire 2012 season, the 28-year-old Bishop understood his vulnerability in the wake of Brad Jones’ emergence in his absence.

On Monday, that notion was solidified when Packers general manager Ted Thompson broke the news to Bishop about the organization’s intention to release him after five seasons and only two years removed from signing a four-year, $19 million extension.

A sixth-round draft pick in 2007, Bishop conceded that part of the decision likely boiled down to the torn tendon he sustained in last season’s preseason opener Aug. 9 in San Diego.

However, the 6-foot-2, 238-pound linebacker also likened it to a numbers game after the team restructured A.J. Hawk’s contract earlier this offseason and re-signed Jones in March to a three-year, $11.75 million deal.

“I would be lying if I said I wasn’t surprised, but at the same time, I knew it was a definite possibility,” said Bishop, who was scheduled to make $3.464 million this season. “I’m fully healthy right now, but I think my injury was part of the reason. If I didn’t get hurt, maybe we wouldn’t even be having this conversation right now. You have to add the injury into the equation, but I don’t think that was the main deciding factor.”

League sources recently indicated to Press-Gazette Media that the plan was to move forward with Jones and Hawk as the team’s primary inside backers, leaving a recovering Bishop as the odd man out.