Special counsel Ted Wells, who is investigating issues of alleged verbal abuse and workplace harassment toward Dolphins players and tackle Jonathan Martin, already began interviewing some close to the situation last week and will be in California in the coming days to interview Martin and others. The interviews are likely to be ongoing for several weeks, sources said, with the results presented to Commissioner Roger Goodell and also made public.

Guard Richie Incognito, who was suspended by the team after it learned of transcripts of text messages and voice mails he sent Martin, is also in California, seeking counsel and support from his agent, David Dunn, whose agency is based in Irvine.

Wells, according to sources, has a lengthy list of interview subjects and plans to be meticulous and diligent as he probes broader issues besides just the inter-personal dynamics between Martin and Incogntio, including the larger locker room culture there, how pervasive issues of bullying and harassment might be, and what role, if any the coaching staff, management, and ownership may have played -- implicit or complicit -- in the team's handling and control of workplace issues.

Martin already turned over evidence of Incognito calling him a “half-n----r” and making threats at him and family members and Martin's lawyer, David Cornwell released a statement Thursday night which includes language from a text invoking a sexual act toward Martin's sister, and, furthermore, Cornwell alleged there was an incident of physical abuse toward Martin as well. A source said that incident in question took place in 2012, Martin's rookie season, away from the team facility, but that it was witnessed by Dolphins players.