Frank Francisco said Tuesday his elbow was feeling better, and there are five weeks for him to get into game shape, but Mets manager Terry Collins did not seem confident that the closer would be ready for the start of the season.
“Last year Frankie probably pitched in maybe four spring training games. We could have him throw two innings, let him take a couple days off before the season opens and he could probably be ready,” Collins said. “I am not sure he will be.”
Last week, Francisco was shut down because of inflammation in his surgically repaired right elbow. Tuesday, Francisco insisted he was feeling better, but Collins said there is still no plan for him to begin throwing again. After an injury-plagued 2012, the Mets are being cautious.

Francisco, 33, has been down much more than the Mets expected when they signed him to a two-year, $12 million deal before last season. Francisco had a 5.53 ERA over 48 games in 2012, the fewest appearances since his rookie season.
Collins has said he has given the role of closer to Bobby Parnell as Francisco rehabs.


Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/mets-insider-frankly-mets-relief-article-1.1268483#ixzz2LRhCNbEz