Manny Malhotra is still mulling his future, but it sounds like the sidelined Canucks centre is leaning toward resuming his NHL career next season.

Malhotra, who suffered a serious eye injury on March 16, 2011, was shut down by Canucks general manager Mike Gillis in mid-February after having played just nine games. Gillis cited concerns that Malhotra was putting himself at risk due to the continuing effects of the injury on his vision.

Malhotra agreed to speak with The Province earlier this week for a story on Jason Collins becoming the first active player in one of the four major North American professional sports leagues to declare himself as gay.

Malhotra, who represented the Canucks when he and teammate Jason Garrison marched in the Vancouver Pride parade last August, was also asked about his future plans.

“The playing feeling is not going away,” said Malhotra, who said two weeks after being shut down that he still wants to play.

“I still feel healthy and strong, I’m still working out. We’ll see what the opportunities are this summer.”