If this Byrd doesn’t fly north with the Mets, he expects to be roadkill.

“I kind of look at it as a last chance,” Marlon Byrd said yesterday. “If I don’t make this team, I don’t see many other chances in baseball. That’s the way I’m playing, like it is my last chance.”

In a patchwork Mets outfield, the 35-year-old Byrd has more than a decent chance of sticking. Even so, Byrd is out to prove the last two seasons have been an aberration from a solid 11-year major league career.

Byrd was playing for the Cubs in 2011 when he got drilled in the face by an Alfredo Aceves fastball at Fenway Park, sidelining him from May 21 to July 2. Last year, Byrd had played horribly by his own admission with the Cubs and Red Sox, before he failed a test for performance-enhancing drugs and was suspended for 50 games.

Over the last two seasons he’s batted a combined .260 with 10 homers and 44 RBIs, after making the NL All-Star team with the Cubs in 2010. That season he batted .293 with 12 homers and 66 RBIs.

“Everyone forgets 2011 was kind of a wash: I got hit in the face and I missed six weeks and tried to come back and I was behind,” Byrd said. “Then, 2012 was a bad year altogether. I couldn’t hit, my fielding was so-so and then I had the suspension. I look at 2012 as a wash: My year wasn’t good and I took something I wasn’t supposed to.”

That something was Tamoxifen, a drug used to treat male breast enlargement. Byrd said he failed to check if the drug was banned by MLB.