For the second year in a row Jose Bautista will finish his season on the disabled list as the Blue Jays announced Wednesday he will be shut down for the remainder of the season.

The slugging right fielder has been on the disabled list for the last two weeks with nagging hip pain which has now been diagnosed as a bone bruise in the neck of his left femur near the top of his leg.

Bautista who underwent season-ending wrist surgery last year said his current injury has been healing well but hip specialist Dr. Bryan Kelly recommended two more weeks of rest after which time Bautista would have to work himself back into game shape and would only be able to return to the big leagues in the final week of the season at the earliest.

“We’ll only have a handful of games left in the season so for those reasons he recommended I get shut down and myself and the team agreed” Bautista said. “It’s not exactly how I wanted to end this season but there’s not much you can do once you have an injury and you have sustained it. It’s the only way you can heal up. I have no choice but to follow the doctor’s recommendations.”

The fact the Jays are not in contention also played into the decision.

“Just a combination of all the factors timing wise: our team situation the type of injury and the extent of the injury.”