Making his first public appearance since the end of last season, Red Sox principal owner John Henry said in the most uncertain terms yet that he has no plans to sell the team.
“You just don’t get an opportunity to own something like the Boston Red Sox,” Henry said during a 25-minute session with reporters at JetBlue Park. “As long as we can do it, the three of us are committed to being here. These thoughts that we’re somehow selling, those are just not true.”
Rumors surfaced last year that Henry and chairman Tom Werner were thinking of selling the team. They have owned the Red Sox since 2002, during which time the team has won two World Series and made six playoff appearances. But it has been three seasons since the Red Sox went to the postseason, four since they won a playoff game. Last year, the Sox endured their worst season in nearly a half-century, losing 93 games and finishing last in the AL East.
At times, Henry and his partners have seemed increasingly distracted by their other ventures, including a pro soccer team in Liverpool, although Henry has disputed that perception. And over the past decade, most major league teams have turned record profits, making this an ideal time to sell. Last year, the Los Angeles Dodgers were sold for $2.15 billion, the most expensive acquisition in the history of pro sports.
“Tom and I have made a lot of money over the years, so that doesn’t drive us,” said Henry, who spoke alone, without Werner or team president Larry Lucchino. “If it was the driving factor, yes, I’m sure that would be a consideration. But the quality of our lives is what drives us, and our competitive spirit. We’re determined to be successful, and we have since Day 1. That hasn’t changed. The value of these assets is just something we don’t think in terms of.
John Henry on Sox sale rumors: “Just not true”
Boston Herald | Feb 12