Andy Pettitte remains open to the idea of pitching for Joe Torre again, but the Yankees have voiced their reservations about the 40-year-old lefty's inclusion on the World Baseball Classic staff.

"We've had some clubs express concern about their [players] and of course the Yankees have done that," said Torre, who will manage Team USA in the WBC in March.

However, "the last thing I want to do is make the player uncomfortable," Torre said. Rosters won't be finalized until Feb. 20, "so we've got some wiggle time. We'll see what happens."

Torre spoke at Chelsea Piers, prior to his 10th annual "Safe at Home Foundation" fundraising dinner to support those impacted by domestic violence.

Pettitte signed a $12 million contract to return to the rotation after a 2012 season (5-4, 2.87 ERA, 12 starts) abbreviated because of a bone fracture above the left ankle, part of the Yankees' concern with his WBC participation.

Since MLB clubs technically cannot interfere with WBC decisions, Torre said he would make the final call on Pettitte's inclusion. But the ex-Yankees manager added he's still talking with the club.

"I certainly don't want to put any player in a stressful situation," Torre said. As he told Pettitte earlier this week, "The last thing I want you to deal with is stress."