It’s something Marian Hossa will never forget, even though he remembers very little of the hit that led him to those tough few months.
It took several months for Hossa to come back completely from the concussion sustained when Phoenix Coyotes forward Raffi Torres hit him in Game 3 of the Western Conference Quarterfinals last April. He started feeling more himself in the summer, skated in the fall and was cleared in mid-November.
But on the eve of Hossa and Torres taking the ice together for the first time since that hit, the Blackhawks forward says he’s moved past it.
The Blackhawks will face the Coyotes for the second time this season on Thursday night. But it’s the first time they’ll see Torres, who was still serving his 21-game suspension for the Hossa hit during the first matchup. For Hossa, who’s fully recovered, this is just another game.
“It’s a thing you don’t forget, but I (turned) that page and this is another season,” he said Tuesday night. “For me, it’s just another game. I don’t worry about anything else.”
Torres contacted Hossa shortly after the hit. Hossa first talked about it on May 3 and was still angry about what had happened. That emotion has faded since then, as Hossa’s made a full recovery and has looked every bit the All-Star in his first 10 games.
As far as how emotions run tomorrow night, it’s anyone’s guess. But it’s likely to be more focus than fireworks. The Blackhawks dealt with a similar situation recently; the Vancouver Canucks were as unhappy with Duncan Keith for his elbow to Daniel Sedin’s head as the Blackhawks were with Torres for his hit on Hossa. But the Canucks also said it was in the past, and that retaliation, especially in a 48-game season where every point counts, just didn’t make sense.
The Blackhawks have the same thought entering tomorrow’s game.
Hossa says he's turned the page on Torres' hit
CSN Chicago | Feb 7