While Jose Bautista being a last-minute scratch from Team Dominican Republic's lineup before Saturday's World Baseball Classic game due to back stiffness may have initially been a cause for alarm, Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said he is not concerned.

Gibbons described Bautista's issue on Sunday as "very, very minor," and expects the six-time All-Star to rejoin the Blue Jays within the next couple of days. Bautista was available to come off the bench, but never saw the field in a 6-3 defeat to the United States at San Diego's Petco Park that eliminated the defending Classic champions from the tournament.

"His No. 1 obligation is this team," Gibbons said before Toronto's game against the Pirates at LECOM Park.

"I think he was smart not playing that one, and we'll see him back soon."

Before departing for the Classic earlier this month, the 36-year-old Bautista had been enjoying a torrid start to Grapefruit League play. In 16 plate appearances, the slugger batted .563 with two home runs and six RBIs. Bautista also stole a base, something he only did twice in 116 games last season.