Less than two years after a career-threatening concussion, Giants second base prospect Brock Bond is happy just to be back on a diamond.
The 27-year-old lost nearly a full year of baseball after being struck near the temple by a line drive during batting practice on May 3, 2011, while playing for the Triple-A Fresno Grizzlies. Now, after a fast start this spring and a good season last year at Fresno, he's in the mix to make the Giants' 25-man roster as a spare infielder.
Bond's concussion two seasons ago wasn't his first. He suffered a concussion as a high school quarterback in Missouri, so he didn't think the line drive would lead to any problems. He tried -- unsuccessfully -- to talk his way into that night's lineup.
"The trainers asked me where I was, and I had to think about it for a minute," he said. "They asked me what day it was, and I had to think about that, too."
Bond said the serious symptoms started later that night, when his head started pounding and he couldn't sleep. Soon, he started dealing with memory loss and dizziness when he walked.
Giants' Brock Bond comes back from concussion
San Jose Mercury News | Mar 7