Miami Marlins slugger Giancarlo Stanton hears the rumors, knows what has already transpired, but refuses to publicly show his frustration with the organization's upheaval.
"All of the spotlight was on us last year,'' Stanton, 23, told USA TODAY Sports. "This year, it will be like all of the other previous years.''
The Marlins, who spent $190 million in the winter of 2011 to build a championship team for their new ballpark, turned around and dumped $242 million since July.
Stanton was so incensed with the Marlins' trade with the Toronto Blue Jays in November - dumping All-Star shortstop Jose Reyes, pitchers Mark Buehrle and Josh Johnson, along with catcher John Buck and infielder Emilio Bonifacio - he sent out a tweet for his bosses to see:
"Alright, I'm pissed off!!! Plain & Simple."
Stanton, when asked Tuesday if he's still angry, said, "Yeah, it's tough. You deal with what you got. You realize that's the business side.''
Yet, as the Marlins' biggest star remaining, hitting 37 homers last season, he dodged the question whether he wants to be the next one out the door.
"My preparation will be the same,'' he said, "so there's no difference for me.
"I'm preparing the same way I do every year.''
Stanton's name surfaced in trade rumors this winter, but while Marlins vice president Dan Jennings said the organization will always listen to proposals, Stanton is expected to stay.
"People take everything out of proportion,'' Stanton says, "everybody loves to stir something. If you listen to everything you hear, there's a lot of different directions you'd be leaning.''
Giancarlo Stanton readies himself for 'tough' year, WBC
USA Today | Jan 16