Today's forecast for Detroit: 34 and cloudy.
Today's forecast for Lakeland, Fla.: 85 and mostly sunny.
But here's a proverbial ray of sunshine for Tigers fans: The team began loading equipment into a moving van Wednesday for the drive south, which means spring training -- and spring! -- isn't far off.
Pitchers and catchers will report to Lakeland on Tuesday, and the first workout is scheduled for Feb. 15.
Several Tigers -- including Miguel Cabrera and Anibal Sanchez for Venezuela -- are scheduled to play in the World Baseball Classic, which begins March 2. (The championship round will be March 17-19 at AT&T Park in San Francisco.)
Justin Verlander, who's playing golf today in the Pebble Beach Pro-Am, hasn't said whether he'll play in the WBC.
Here are some other dates to remember:
• Feb. 22 -- Tigers play their first game of spring training at 1:05 p.m. against the Atlanta Braves in Kissimmee, Fla.
• Feb 23 -- Tigers play their first spring game at Joker Marchant Stadium at 1:05 against the Blue Jays.
• March 31 -- Rosters must be trimmed to 25 players.
• April 1 -- Tigers open the regular season at Minnesota at 4:10.
• April 5 -- Home opener at 1:05 against the New York Yankees.
• Sept. 29 -- Tigers close the regular season with an interleague game at Miami at 1:10.
First sign of spring: Tigers' equipment heads south to Lakeland
Detroit Free Press | Feb 7