The Detroit Tigers haven't changed their minds.
As of late Wednesday, the Tigers have not switched their position on their lack of interest in free-agent closer Jose Valverde.

A source close to subject said the Tigers haven't reached out to Valverde's agent, Scott Boras, and would be "very surprised" if discussions were to emerge.

Valverde, 34, has been linked to a handful of teams this offseason, but he remains unsigned with less than 40 days before the start of the regular season.

Despite converting 110 of 118 saves during his three-year stint in Detroit, Valverde was informed in late October that the Tigers had no intention of re-signing him.

Tigers officials anticipate Valverde will receive a Major League deal elsewhere, but he has seemingly drawn little interest outside of the Miami Marlins and New York Mets, who have reportedly ended discussions.

Tigers manager Jim Leyland told reporters last week that he was "shocked" and "broken-hearted" that Valverde was still unemployed.

"Can't believe it. This guy was absolutely fantastic, absolutely fantastic for us," Leyland said. "One of the best teammates I've ever managed."

It was announced Tuesday that Valverde will pitch for the Dominican Republic in next month's World Baseball Classic, according to the official Dominican team's Twitter account.

He will join Tigers reliever Octavio Dotel in a bullpen that will also feature Joel Peralta, Santiago Casilla and former Tigers reliever Fernando Rodney, who is expected to serve as the team's closer.