Dioner Navarro’s speedy recovery after a home-plate collision on Wednesday prompted the Chicago Cubs to return catcher J.C. Boscan to Triple-A Iowa Saturday and purchase the contract of outfielder Darnell McDonald.

“Navarro’s fine so we didn’t need another catcher and we do need another position player” said manager Dale Sveum. “Darnell has been swinging the bat really well down there so we will give him a shot and see what happens.”

The 34-year-old McDonald has played parts of six seasons in the majors with the Orioles Twins Reds Red Sox and Yankees. He was originally a first-round pick of Baltimore in the 1997 draft. He arrived in St. Louis shortly before Saturday night’s game.

McDonald has been at Iowa all season and in 92 games had four home runs 26 RBIs and a .236 average. This was the 13th season he has spent at the Triple-A level.

If he gets into a game McDonald will become the 50th player to appear in a game for the Cubs this season.

Boscan had been recalled from Iowa on Thursday as protection while a decision was made on whether Navarro would have to go on the DL as a result of hurting his ankle in the collision with the Phillies’ Chase Utley. Boscan did not appear in either of the games he was on the roster.

Navarro had an MRI Friday in Chicago which revealed his right ankle was only sprained a result that Navarro who returned to St. Louis on Saturday said surprised him.

“It wasn’t as bad as we thought” said Navarro who was cleared to play after undergoing a series of drills. “We were all kind of surprised at the result. Now I’m here and ready to keep playing.