The Browns’ patience with second-year wide receiver Josh Gordon seems to be running thin after the league announced his two-game suspension for violation of its substance abuse policy last month.

Gordon will also be fined four game checks for what is apparently his second offense. Those cited for the first strike in the NFL’s program are not suspended.

Speaking to the media Monday Gordon said he failed the drug test after taking prescription cough medicine that contained codeine. He said it was not a case of “recreational use.”

Selected in the second round of the 2012 supplemental draft Gordon failed three drug tests in college two at Baylor and one at Utah. He is expected to be the team’s deep threat after catching 50 passes for a team-high 805 yards and five touchdowns last season.

Browns CEO Joe Banner said Wednesday that new coach Rob Chudzinski has told Gordon where he stands.

“He spent a fair amount of time talking to Chud and he’s got to do some work and he understands he’s going to be held accountable and he gets the rope that’s left isn’t long” Banner said of Gordon. “In working with the coaches they need to see that commitment that work ethic. Obviously off the field he needs to make good choices.”

Cell system upgraded

While the Browns plan no structural improvements to FirstEnergy Stadium until at least January Banner said he expects improved cellphone service during games a huge issue with fans in recent years.

“Your cellphones will work” Banner said during a 23-minute news conference. “We expanded the DAS (Distributed Antenna System) system which is really what controls cell service and to some extent iPad service. So you will have complete cell service and you will have partial use of iPads and things like that.”

In 2013 the Browns will also concentrate on issues like cleanliness and exit traffic. The bathrooms in the stadium have been repainted in team colors more trash receptacles have been added and they will be emptied more frequently.

The Browns have hired an architect and a contractor for a reported $100 million in stadium renovations but Banner said the decision to go ahead has not been made.

“Presuming we do the project which is extremely likely but not absolutely definite we will start construction in January” Banner said. “And it will be another month or two maybe as much as three before we have a full idea of what the scope of it will be and what elements will be included. It probably will happen over two off-seasons.”