After years of being on the cusp of getting there, Andrew Whitworth will finally be making his first Pro Bowl trip.
The Bengals offensive tackle was added to the AFC roster on Tuesday, replacing Denver's Ryan Clady, who is unable to play due to injury. Whitworth was a first alternate when the original rosters were released last month.
"It's cool. Definitely something to be proud of," Whitworth said. "It's bittersweet because it isn't the way you wanted the season to end. The goal is to get to the Super Bowl."
Added head coach Marvin Lewis in a statement: "This is recognition for Whit that we've felt was overdue. He's been a key part of all our success in recent years, a great player on the field and a key leader in our locker room."
Whitworth just completed his seventh season and has started 67 straight games since taking over at left tackle in 2009. That is the longest current starting streak on the roster.
Two years ago Whitworth received the most votes in fan balloting at offensive tackle, but did not make the roster, as fan, coaches and player voting is each worth one third. He was a second alternate last year.
Whitworth has long been a critic of how the squads are selected but did not have any qualms with the tackles that were selected. Whitworth joins Cleveland's Joe Thomas and Houston's Duane Brown.
"When you look at the success of the offenses with Houston and Denver along with how well Joe has played over the years in Cleveland the people got it right," he said.
Whitworth also joked that he would be the old guy in the group of Bengals who is headed to the Pro Bowl. This is the first time since 2005 that the Bengals have had four or more players headed to Hawaii two straight seasons.
Bengals' Andrew Whitworth to make first Pro Bowl trip
Cincinnati Enquirer | Jan 16