Barcelona’s sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta has not ruled out more signings to follow Thomas Vermaelen as the Catalan club continue their summer of rebuilding.

Vermaelen completed his move to Barça on Sunday, signing a five-year contract at Camp Nou after joining from Arsenal for a fee that may eventually rise to £15m.

The Belgium international and former club aptain at Arsenal joins Luis Suárez, Ivan Rakitic, Claudio Bravo, Marc-Andre ter Stegen and Jérémy Mathieu as newcomers at Barça, who will be under the guidance of a new coach, Luis Enrique, next season as they look to recover from a hugely disappointing campaign last year under Gerardo Martino.

Speaking at Vermaelen’s presentation, Zubizarreta said he is very happy with the talent Barça now have at their disposal, but also revealed that the club are still open to more additions if the right players become available.

He said: “With the addition of Thomas we completed a defensive line of a very high level. There are options that we are working on for the exit of some players, as such we’re not discarding so that others could come in.

“What I can say is that at midnight on 31 August we hope to have the best squad possible. Even though we are very happy with the players that we have if there is a chance to improve it, we will try.

“Until the 1st or 2nd [of September], when we talk about the market being closed, anything could happen.”

Zubizarreta preferred not to talk about specific targets, who reportedly still include Fiorentina’s Colombia winger Juan Cuadrado, while he also said Barça had not received any offers for their full-back Dani Alves.

Vermaelen was not short of suitors as it became increasingly clear his future lay away from Arsenal, with Manchester United one of the clubs heavily linked with his services, but the 28-year-old insisted it was a “dream” for him to move to Camp Nou.