Adrian Peterson discovered his Kryptonite during Minnesota Vikings training camp last summer when a little shrimp buckled the ultra-tough 2012 league MVP the way no hulking defender ever has.

"I thought I was Superman until I experienced that life-changing anaphylactic shock,'' Peterson told USA TODAY Sports about his life-threatening allergic scare. "I was eating lunch and gobbled down a couple of bowls of gumbo.

"Then, 15 minutes later, I'm in my dorm room resting up. My eyes started itching and my throat was swelling up.

"I could barely breathe.''

Even amid the scariest moment of his life with his throat closing, Peterson had the presence of mind to make the right move. He called Vikings trainer Eric Sugerman and rasped into his cell phone how something was very wrong in what was fast becoming a critical situation.

"I'm normally pretty good under pressure so I stayed calm, didn't panic too much and just called to get the help I knew I needed,'' Peterson said.

Sugerman raced to Peterson's Mankato State University dormitory room and injected Peterson with an EpiPen, enabling him to breathe better while he was rushed to a nearby hospital.

Clearly, Peterson showed no ill effects last season from his scare. But the experience caused him to do more research and as a result, he decided to partner with Mylan Specialty L.P. — maker of the EpiPen auto injector that saved him — as a spokesman for an Anaphlaxis Preparedness Campaign.

Anaphylaxis may affect up to 43 million Americans. Children are among the most at risk for anaphylaxis with an estimated one in 12 in the United States suffering from a food allergy.

Peterson carries two EpiPens with him at all times to combat any mistaken exposure to his allergic triggers.

"It's a serious situation and it's pretty common across the world,'' Peterson said. "A lot of people can learn from my scare. Seafood was always my favorite food. I mean fried lobster? Come on.